Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
Photography: Susanne at dishwithme.com
Many, many years ago I went to lunch with a friend and tasted White Chicken Chili for the first time ever. It was simply delicious. Me being me, I set out to duplicate it. All I had to go on was what I remembered it tasting like. I spent quite some time in the kitchen and proudly produced my new creation to my family.
I had just sat down at the table and I noticed everyone looking at each other. I wondered what was up and realized they had already taken a taste. So, I picked up my spoon and tasted as well. I then realized why they kept giving each other side glances. It was terrible! Hahaha! I don’t have any recollection of what I put in it, but whatever it was, it wasn’t right. OMGoodness, lol, it was an epic fail. See, it happens to us all at one time or another. Not one of us is perfect.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
Feel free to change the beans out for a different type, if there is something you like better.
Great toppings are: tortilla strips, crumbled tortilla chips, or fritos, sour cream, cheddar or Monterey Jack shredded cheese.
- Mexican oregano
- Ground cumin
- Ground paprika
- Ground cayenne
- Ground coriander
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chicken broth base – I use Orrington Farms
- Fresh garlic
- Lime juice
- Mild diced green chilis in the can
- Navy beans
- Cannellini beans
- Roasted corn
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
LINKS TO OTHER RECIPES
** This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission at absolutely no cost to you. Thank you so much for helping to support my small business.**
LINKS TO PRODUCTS USED
You will definitely need a big soup pot like this one.
A soup ladle will come in handy dandy.
- Large soup pot
- 3 Chicken breasts, skinless, boneless cooked, shredded
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 large Yellow or white onion
- 3 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Broth base, chicken Orrington Farms
- 3 cloves Fresh garlic finely grated
- 1 teaspoon Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 4 oz cans Mild green chili peppers
- 1 15 0z can Navy beans drained
- 1 15 oz can Cannellini beans drained
- 2 cups Roasted corn I use Trader Joe's frozen
- 32 ounces Chicken broth
- 2 cups Water I use the water that I boiled the chicken in
- 8 ounces Cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Boil the chicken breasts until cooked. Let cool and then shred and set aside. Save the water…I use this for the water called for in the ingredient list.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add EVOO, the diced onion and the seasonings, all the way to the broth base. Cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and the shredded chicken, cover with a lid, lower the heat to low and let simmer about 30 minutes.