(In the slow cooker)
Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
Photography: Susanne at dishwithme.com
This version of Vegetable Beef Soup is made in a slow cooker, but you could easily convert it to a stove top recipe. This is a cozy, healthy ,and yummy soup that only takes minutes to prepare.
This soup is hardy and filling and perfect for a cold winter night. Try it with some garlic bread on the side, or a grilled cheese sandwich.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP
I like very small pieces of celery, so to achieve that, I slice the celery in half, lengthwise, and then each half in half again, so that I end up with 4 pieces, then I dice into small chunks.
This soup could easily be ready in as little as 2 hours, but I believe cooking it longer makes it taste better.
- Beef sirloin
- Baby carrots
- Fresh garlic
- Granulated onion powder
- Granulated garlic powder
- Dried parsley
- Ground thyme
- A sprig of fresh rosemary, or dried rosemary
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Orrington Farms powdered broth base
- Beef broth
- Frozen corn
- Canned baby peas
- Ditalini pasta
LINKS TO OTHER RECIPES
Sometimes soup and salad make a great combo. Try my COBB SALAD.
These CANDIED BACON JALAPENO CRACKERS might make a good side.
For dessert, you might consider my CHEESECAKE WITH BROWN BUTTER COOKIE CRUST
LINKS TO PRODUCTS USED
This slow cooker is absolutely AMAZING!
Here is my grater.
A sharp knife is always a must.
- slow cooker
- 2 pounds Beef sirloin
- 2 Tablespoons Corn starch
- 1/2 cup Celery
- 1 cup Baby carrots
- 1 Yellow onion
- 3 cloves Fresh garlic
- 3 Tablespoons EVOO
- 1 Granulated onion powder
- 1 Granulated garlic powder
- 1 Dried parsley
- 1 Ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 20 grinds Freshly ground pepper
- 32 ounces Beef broth
- 40 ounces Water
- 3 Tablespoons Powdered beef broth base Orrington Farms
- 1 cup Frozen corn Preferably roasted
- 1 cup Green peas
- 1 cup Ditalini pasta
- Gather all ingredients.
- Trim any fat from the beef. Cut the beef into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle cornstarch over pieces of beef. Toss to coat the beef. Every piece won't get covered and that's okay. Set aside.
- Cut/slice/dice baby carrots, onion and celery. Grate the garlic. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat to medium-high and add EVOO. Place the beef in the heated skillet and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
- To the browned beef, add the celery, carrots and onion. Cook until the veggies are tender-crisp, about 4 minutes
- Transfer to slow cooker at this point.
- Add all seasonings. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth and water.
- Add corn, peas and pasta.
- Cook on low for 2 to 6 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Adjust liquids and salt, as needed.