Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
**This post contains affiliate links. Please see my Amazon/privacy disclosure.**
I know the picture doesn’t look like much, but, let me tell you, this recipe for The Best Cheese Sauce is so very smooth and creamy. This cheese sauce will proudly sit atop broccoli, cauliflower, a chili relleno, inside a burrito, asparagus, or even a baked potato…better yet, my super easy air fryer baked potatoes! You really must try them! Oh, and over my HUEVOS RANCHEROS would be delicious, too.
I actually use queso blanco Velveeta for this recipe. I am not the biggest fan of Velveeta, but in this recipe, it definitely works. Off the top of my head I can only think of one other recipe that I use Velveeta for and that is for Justin’s favorite mac n cheese. I haven’t shared that one with you yet, but I will soon. I am not able to find the queso blanco style Velveeta at all stores, so I’ll share an Amazon link for it, but, I believe it will be cheaper if you can find it in one of your local grocery stores.
Another benefit…you might just get your children to eat more veggies, if topped with this cheese sauce.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR MAKING THE BEST WHITE CHEESE SAUCE
Cheese sauce is basically a béchamel sauce with added cheese. You can experiment around with different cheeses to find what you like best. Many people like a cheddar sauce, but this one with queso blanco Velveeta hits just perfect for me.
Don’t skip the tiny little pinch of nutmeg. It just adds a little something. Don’t add too much, though, just a pinch will do.
Velveeta is a pretty soft product, so while I might prefer to shred/grate other types of cheese, this one I cut into small cubes, instead.
LINKS TO PRODUCTS PRODUCTS OR EQUIPMENT USED
In case you aren’t able to find queso blanco Velveeta at one of your local grocery stores.
A non-stick saucepan will work nicely with this recipe. I have several Analon pots & pans.
LINKS TO RECIPES THAT WILL PAIR WELL WITH THIS ONE
My SUPER EASY AIR FRYER BAKED POTATOES would be wonderful topped with this cheese sauce.
Try this over my HUEVOS RANCHEROS. I don’t think you’ll be sorry.
- medium saucepan
- 5 Tablespoons Real butter 1 tablespoon reserved
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1.5 – 2 cups milk more, if needed to thin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces Queso blanco Velveeta cubed
- On medium-high heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan.
- To the melted butter, sprinkle in the flour, whisking constantly to blend. Turn the heat down to medium and continue cooking and whisking for another minute, or two, just until it becomes slightly tan in color and fragrant.
- Add the milk, whisking until smooth. Start with 1.5 cups, a little at a time, and add another half cup, if needed.
- Add the salt and a small pinch of ground nutmeg and stir it in.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the cubed Velveeta and continue whisking until smooth.
- Once the cheese is melted, finish off by adding 1 additional tablespoon of butter, mix until melted.
- Add more milk, if necessary, to thin the cheese mixture, adding only a couple tablespoons at a time until you reach desired consistency.
- Enjoy, friends!