Author: Susanne at Dish With Me
**Some links on dishwithme.com are affiliate links. I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you click on a link and make a purchase from a partner company. I will NEVER recommend anything that I don’t personally use or love.**Jump to Recipe
Porky Cabbage…can you say yum?
The reason behind The Best Porky Cabbage recipe…
If you’ve ever been to southern California you’ve probably heard of Knott’s Berry Farm. If you’ve ever heard of Knott’s Berry Farm, you’ve probably heard of Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant. And, if you’ve heard of Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant, then you’ve probably heard of the scrumptious cabbage dish that is served with their famous and delicious fried chicken. OMG, if you’re anywhere near, you should go have some! You don’t have to enter the park to go into the restaurant.
Did you know that I cannot fry chicken? No, there is no way you could know that, but, seriously, I cannot. I mean I can fry it, but not well. Crazy, right? I will learn one day, though.
I grew up going to Knott’s Berry Farm…I mean, my entire life, before it turned into the big amusement park that it is today. But it wasn’t until I was an adult that I visited Mrs. Knott’s and enjoyed the fried chicken dinner there. Everything was delicious. The fried chicken, stupendous, but what I really LOVED was the cabbage dish.
So, after moving away from the area I got hungry for some of that yummy cabbage, and this recipe is what I came up with to try to recreate that flavor, and, I must say, my version is quite delicious. In addition to tasting great, it is super easy to make! So, that’s a win-win!!! I’m thinking of my cousin, Stephanie as I type this because she LOVES it, too!
This Porky Cabbage dish makes a wonderful side dish to accompany almost any main course, but is, also, hardy enough to be a meal on its own.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR THE BEST PORKY CABBAGE
Before starting the cooking process, be sure to cut, dice or chop all of your ingredients and have everything ready. This recipe comes together really quickly and if everything is prepared and ready to go the process comes together much more smoothly.
When my recipes call for butter, I will always mean REAL BUTTER, not margarine.
THE BEST PORKY CABBAGE
- 6 slices smokey bacon diced
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced or diced
- 1 stick REAL butter YES, I said REAL! ALWAYS REAL!
- 1 head green cabbage thinly sliced or diced into bite sized chunks
- 25 grinds freshly ground pepper
- 1 ham steak cut into bite sized pieces
- Before starting the cooking process, slice, dice and chop all the ingredients.
- In a large pan, on medium-high heat cook bacon almost to just before desired doneness.
- When bacon is almost done, add the onion, butter, cabbage and pepper.
- Cook until desired level of tenderness is achieved, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the diced ham, cook just until heated.
- Viola! You're done. Yes, it's really that easy! Amazing, right?