Author: Susanne at Dish With Me
**Some links on dishwithme.com are affiliate links. I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you click on a link and make a purchase from a partner company. I will NEVER recommend anything that I don’t personally use or love.**Jump to Recipe
We are all a product of our experiences. This includes everything; relationships, foods we have tasted, childhood experiences, places we have traveled, places we have lived, the adventures of childhood, etc.. For me, The Amazing California Chicken Sandwich is one of those experiences!
Many, many years ago a restaurant in southern California had an amazing chicken sandwich with alfalfa sprouts. They have long since stopped serving it. I have no idea why, it is simple to make, and it is truly amazing. Who knows? I don’t have any idea, but these sandwiches are a part of my youth, a part of my experiences. And I LOVE them! Actually, my entire family LOVES them. Like, every. single. person.
Well, since this amazing chicken sandwich can no longer be purchased, I set out to try to recreate it. I think I nailed it, but even if it is not exactly the same, it is as good, or, maybe, even better.
This is an excellent dish for the summer as the cooking portion is done outside, so no heating up the house. After the chicken and bacon are cooked, this yummy sandwich can be put together pretty quickly. My Everything But The Kitchen Sink Pasta Salad , my Smashed Potatoes, my Quick & Easy Classic Deviled Eggs, and my Simple Loaded Baked Potato Salad are both an excellent side for this sandwich, or, maybe, just some nice cold watermelon.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR THE CALIFORNIA CHICKEN SANDWICH
The buns MUST be wheat buns…trust me, it makes a difference.
The chicken needs to be grilled, preferably, but, not necessarily, on a charcoal grill.
Use mayonnaise, NOT Miracle Whip.
The alfalfa sprouts absolutely top this off. Just give them a try! You can find them at Whole Foods.
If you use the microwave to heat your buns, only warm them for a few seconds. The microwave will ruin them, if they are cooked too long.
REMEMBER, the breast halves are very thin, they will cook very fast.
Hope you enjoy!
CALIFORNIA CHICKEN SANDWICH
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts visible fat removed, cut in half horizontally
- Cavender's seasoning blend sprinkle each breast
- Kosher salt sprinkle each breast
- 5 to 6 grinds freshly ground black pepper for each side of the chicken breast
- 16 slices bacon cooked
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 8 tomato slices nice thick slices
- 1 container alfalfa sprouts split the sprouts evenly between the sandwiches
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns warmed, I use the microwave but only for a few seconds, if they cook too long, they will be ruined.
- On a cutting plastic cutting board used for meats, remove any visible fat from chicken breasts.
- With a sharp knife, slice each chicken breast in half, horizontally, so that you end up with two matching breast halves, but thinner. Now you have eight pieces.
- Cook bacon by whatever method you prefer. I often use the microwave…less mess.
- Pre-heat your grill to 400°F. Season each side of the chicken breasts with Cavender's seasoning, Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- While the grill is pre-heating, get your ingredients ready. Tomatoes washed and sliced, alfalfa sprouts washed, cheese out, etc..
- When the grill is ready, place chicken breasts on the grate, cover with lid and cook for 3 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until desired temperature is reached. Remember, these are very thin, so they cook very quickly…do not walk away from the grill!!! DO NOT OVERCOOK!
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, it is time to assemble the sandwiches.
- Each sandwich gets a generous amount of mayo on the bun, a chicken breast half topped with provolone cheese, bacon, tomato and alfalfa sprouts.
- There you have it…deliciousness on a bun and SUPER EASY!!!
- You're welcome!
This sandwich should be on sale in every major supermarket. It is delish ❤️
I tried this tonight. It was absolutely delicious!!! I couldn’t find the alfalfa sprouts at our Walmart. I love arugula so I just used that. This will be a staple in our house. It’s quick and easy and delicious 😋