Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
Some people call this type of dish cowboy caviar. I suppose it is a cute name, but caviar is fish eggs, so it doesn’t make sense to me. This is my spin on it and I call it Tex-Mex Bean Salad because that, in my humble opinion, describes it perfectly. It’s kind of like pico-de-gallo with beans and corn, and avocado.
I first tasted this delightful concoction many years ago at a shower. I loved it from the first bite and set out to replicate it at home. This dish can be enjoyed as a dip with chips or as a salad for a meatless meal. It would, also, make an excellent side for my Grilled Flank Steak.
This is a fresh salad/dip/salsa, whatever you want to call it, that is super simple to throw together in minutes and can be served right away. Actually, it is better served freshly made, it really isn’t very good left over. Make sure you have some tortilla chips to eat it with. My FRESH HOMEMADE TORTILLA CHIPS would be amazing with this!
HELPFUL HINTS FOR TEX-MEX BEAN SALAD
I make the dressing first and set it aside. Next, I combine the remaining ingredients, except the avocado, in a large bowl. Then I add the dressing and mix well. And last, I add the avocados and give it another mix.
You can make this salad as mild or as spicy as you like. With one jalapeno this is a pretty mild dish. For a spicier version, simply add more jalapeno, leave the seeds in, or add some hot sauce to the dressing, or all three! I know some people really like the heat.
Avocados break down fairly easy, so I always wait to add them last.
This dish is not great left over.
- Red wine or raspberry vinegar
- Fresh lime juice
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Granulated onion powder
- Granulated garlic powder
- Ground coriander (dried)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Black beans
- Garbonzo beans – chick peas
- Black eyed peas
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Red bell pepper
- Roma tomatoes
RECIPES TO POSSIBLY PAIR WITH THIS ONE
Tex-Mex Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice more, if you want a stronger lime flavor
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 20 grinds black pepper
- 1 can black beans rinsed & drained
- 1 can garbonzo beans rinsed & drained
- 1 can black eyed peas rinsed & drained
- 1 can corn drained, preferably fire roasted
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 of a large, diced
- 1 Jalapeno deseeded & finely diced
- 1/2 to 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded & diced
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes diced
- 2-3 avocados diced
- In a bowl, dressing shaker, or jar, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk or shake well. Set aside.
- In a LARGE bowl, combine everything except the avocado.
- Whisk or shake the dressing and add it to the salad. Mix well.
- Add the avocados and give the salad another toss.
- Enjoy with tortilla chips.