Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
If you are looking for a really, really quick weeknight meal, this recipe for super quick and easy penne and tuna fits that bill. A recipe couldn’t be much easier!
This light meal is perfect paired with a side salad, some French or sourdough bread, and/or a veggie, or two. Yumminess awaits!
HELPFUL HINTS FOR SUPER QUICK AND EASY PENNE AND TUNA
Avoid overcooking the penne. Cook only for the amount of time in the directions.
Be sure to only cook the garlic for 30 seconds to a minute, stirring constantly.
If the recipe seems a little dry, simply add more EVOO to thin it out. Olive oil is good for you!
- Penne pasta
- EVOO – Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh shallot
- Dried parsley
- Dried thyme
- Dried red pepper chili flakes
- Tomato bouillon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh garlic
- Canned tuna in olive oil
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
LINKS TO POSSIBLY PAIR WITH THIS ONE
My HERBED HOTEL BUTTER can be used on French bread.
ROASTED ASPARAGUS would be a great pairing.
These BEST EVER OVEN ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS WITH BACON would, also, be a great pairing.
** This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission at absolutely no cost to you. Thank you.**
LINKS TO PRODUCTS/EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
You’ll need a large pot like this one for boiling the pasta.
You will also need a large pan like this for this recipe. I use this pan almost daily.
Knorr Caldo De Tomate is the tomato bouillon I use in this and many recipes.
- Large Pot For cooking penne pasta
- large pan
- 16 ounce package Dried penne pasta cooked per package instructions with a splash of EVOO and Kosher salt in the water.
- 1/4 cup EVOO plus more for thinning and drizzling, I probably use a total of about 1/2 cup.
- 1 large Shallot diced
- 1 teaspoon Dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Tomato bouillon
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- 30 grinds Freshly ground black pepper or to taste, I use about 60
- 3 cloves Fresh garlic grated
- 15 ounce Bruschetta jar, I use Trader Joe's
- 1/4 cup Water
- 5-6 ounce can Tuna in olive oil I use Ahi from Costco, semi drained
- 1/4 cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese or to taste,, freshly grated from a block is the best.
- Boil penne pasta per package instructions. Pour into a colander and give a quick rinse. Set aside.
- In a large pan on medium heat, add EVOO, diced shallot, parsley flakes, thyme, tomato bouillion, red pepper flakes, Kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for about 3 minutes.
- Add the freshly grated garlic. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the bruschetta and water. Stir to combine.
- Add the penne and tuna and stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Add the shredded Parmesan and stir.
- Congratulations! You have just cooked a healthy meal in about 20 minutes.