Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
Photography: Susanne at dishwithme.com
This Sub Salad offers all of the same tasty components that are on a submarine sandwich without the bread…unless you decide you want to top it with croutons.
This recipe is supposed to mimic a sub sandwich like you get at a deli. So, only use this recipe a guideline or a base for the salad. Feel free to add anything that you would add to a sandwich to this salad. Some great options are: diced bell peppers, olives, pepperoni, spinach leaves, a few sprinkles of dried Italian herbs, etc. While boiled eggs are not typically found on a sandwich (except for egg salad), they do pair well with this salad.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR SUB SALAD
I typically use a variety of different lettuces for salads, but for this salad I strongly prefer plain old iceberg lettuce. And it needs to be very finely shredded, just like it would be on a sub sandwich. Yes, it makes a difference.
A vinaigrette or Italian style dressing goes perfectly with this salad. If you want to make it a creamy Vinaigrette or Italian dressing, just add a little spoon of mayonnaise to the dressing.
- Iceberg lettuce
- Fresh tomatoes – cherry, grape, or whole tomato diced
- English cucumber
- Red onion
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Your favorite dressing. I believe some type of vinaigrette or Italian is the tastiest with this salad, but you use what you like best.
LINKS TO OTHER RECIPES
EASY GARLIC VINAIGRETTE pairs great with this salad
If you want a little bread for your salad, try these amazing HOMEMADE ITALIAN CROUTONS
** This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission at absolutely no cost to you. Thank you.**
LINKS TO PRODUCTS USED
This salami I ordered on Amazon is so good. It’s a 3 pound chub, so, I sliced some, cut it into portions, and froze the rest. The flavor of this salami far surpasses many others.
- 1 to 2 cups Lettuce finely shredded
- 1 Tomato or cherry or grape tomatoes diced
- 1/3 English cucumber partially peeled
- 2 Tablespoons Red onion diced
- 2 ounces Ham cut into slices or squares
- 2 ounces Turkey cut into slices or squares
- 2 ounces Salami diced
- Pepperocini's I use mild
- Your favorite Vinaigrette, or my recipe
- 20 grinds Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- Shred, slice, dice, or chop all ingredients.
- Assemble the salad by making a bed of lettuce in a bowl or on a plate. Add the rest of the toppings.
- To the salad, add your dressing of choice, Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss really, really well to evenly dispurse the dressing and seasonings.
- It's that easy and much quicker that heading to your local sandwich/salad shop.