Author: Susanne at Dish With Me
Ahh, Smashed Potatoes! These little nuggets go with ANYTHING!!! Seriously, a burger, a sandwich, ribs, chicken, steak, even alone as a snack, well, you get the picture.
Not only do they go with everything, they are also very, very tasty. Soft on the inside and indulgently crispy on the outside and topped with my savory herb blend, these might just be your new favorite potato.
These Smashed Potatoes would be heavenly with my Amazing California Chicken Sandwiches.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR SMASHED POTATOES
While, technically, you can use this method with any size potato (just adjust times), the smaller potatoes are going to crisp up much nicer for you, while still giving you a creamy center.
Some people boil the potatoes first. I make use of the microwave. Pop them in until they are fork tender, typically between 5 or 10 minutes, depending on size. Easy peasy.
Use butter AND oil for cooking. The oil is good because butter would burn, but butter adds flavor when mixed with the oil.
Sometimes, as in the photo accompanying this blog, I use the bag of petit potatoes, but another excellent choice for this recipe is small Yukon Gold potatoes. Yukon Golds are so creamy inside! I love my Yukon’s! If you go with the Yukon Golds, you will need to adjust the microwave time. Just make sure they are fork tender, but not falling apart.
If you’ve read very many of my recipes, or know me, you know I typically encase my baking sheets in aluminum foil for easy cleanup, or use parchment paper, but NOT for this recipe. I use the oiled surface of the baking sheet to help get the potatoes as crispy as possible.
Use a baking tray big enough to accommodate the potatoes while still giving them some room, so that they can crisp up on the sides.
If you run out of the butter/EVOO mixture, simply make a little more.
If you would like a little crinkle design in your potatoes simply smash them with a potato masher.
- SEASONING BLEND
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 25 grinds freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cavender's seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes dried
- 2-3 pounds petit potatoes or Yukon Golds (small)
- 4 Tablespoons EVOO
- 4 Tablespoons Butter melted
- 3-4 green onions, aka: spring onions, scallions chopped
- Make the spice blend in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter and EVOO together and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave until fork tender.
- Place the microwaved potatoes on a baking tray and smash. You don't want to smash them to much that they are falling apart. I use the back of my metal 1 cup measuring cup to do the smashing. It's kind of fun!
- Brush the tops of the potatoes with the butter EVOO mixture and sprinkle some of the seasoning on top.
- Flip the potatoes over and repeat the step above.
- Brush any remaining butter EVOO mixture onto the baking sheet. If there isn't any left over, simply drizzle a little EVOO.
- Bake in a pre-heated 425°F oven for between 35-45 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet and turn the potatoes about half way through the cooking process.
- Garnish with chopped green (spring, scallions) onions.