Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
This recipe might be named Red Sauce For Chili Rellenos, but, trust me when I say, that is not all it is good for. My red sauce pairs well as a drizzled topping for any kind of enchilada, burritos, refried beans, rice, tacos, or even my Chili Relleno Casserole.
Here is a funny story. Well, maybe it won’t be funny to you, but funny/ironic to me. I created this recipe when I was a teenager and somewhere along the way I lost the recipe. When I was creating my Chili Relleno Casserole (you’ll get that recipe next), I recreated this recipe to go with it and when I tasted it, it took me right back to my teenage years because it tasted exactly the same! I’m not sure how I did it, but I was delighted.
Thick, herby and delicious describes this sauce. With just a few ingredients and a few minutes it is a breeze to whip up.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR RED SAUCE FOR CHILI RELLENOS
You don’t absolutely have to have the Julio’s seasoning for this recipe, but I believe it enhances it. It’s easy to order from Amazon, just click on the word Julio’s. I use it all the time. If you’ve read very many of my recipes, you know I include it in many of them.
If you don’t mind some little bits in your sauce, leave it as is. If you would prefer a smoother sauce, simply add it to a Ninja or blender for a few seconds. Ta-da!
- Fresh garlic
- Tomato paste
- Chicken broth
- Dried oregano
- Smoked paprika
- Julio’s seasoning
- Orrington Farms Broth Base – chicken
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
LINKS TO OTHER RECIPES
This sauce perfectly tops my Chili Relleno Casserole.
These QUICK RESTAURANT STYLE REFRIED BEANS will pair perfectly with this recipe.
My recipe for AUTHENTIC TASTING MEXICAN RICE is another great choice.
If you feel like you need some meat with this meal, this recipe for GRILLED FLANK STEAK is insanely good.
This AUTHENTIC TASTING HORCHATA RECIPE would absolutely top the meal off!
** This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission at absolutely no cost to you. Thank you.**
LINKS TO PRODUCTS USED
I use this Orrington Farms broth base in a lot of my recipes, beef, chicken and vegetarian.
this grater is used ALL. THE. TIME.
A saucepan like this will be needed.
- Skillet or saucepan
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 Medium shallot diced very fine
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano, or Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Julio's seasoning
- 1 pinch Ground allspice a very small pinch
- 1 Ground cloves a very small pinch
- 20 grinds Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 Medium cloves fresh garlic grated
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 4 ounces Tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons Orrington Farms powdered chicken broth base
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Water
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water and mix well. Set aside.
- In a skillet or saucepan, on medium to medium-high heat, add EVOO and diced shallot oregano, smoked paprika, Julio's seasoning, freshly ground black pepper Kosher salt, and cook until tender. About 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and add the garlic. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add, chicken broth, tomato paste and chicken broth base. Turn heat back to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- As soon as the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat down to just barely above low and stir in the cornstarch and water mixture. Let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened. If it gets too thick simply use a little broth to make it as thin as you desire.
- That's it! Congratulations, you just made a yummy sauce in a matter of minutes!