Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
**This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Privacy/Disclosure policy.**
Often it seems Quick Pickled Onions are either red or white…I say, do both.
I’ve shared with you guys in a previous post about the yummy pickled onions I found at Costco. Yep, they were delicious. Notice I said were. Insert eyeroll. That’s because the last few times I have been to Costco they didn’t have them. BOO! I’ve noticed that has happened with several of my favorite things from there. I don’t like it.
If you love these little gems as much as I do you want to keep them on hand to enjoy in a number of ways. Of course, they are great on their own, but quite delicious atop a sandwich or a salad, nachos, burritos, tacos, burgers…you want me to keep going? I had to make these because I was out of my store bought ones and I had to have some for my Baja Chicken Burritos…yes, it is a must…total game changer.
This recipe is super quick and easy and they keep very well refrigerated. I’ll show you a picture of the ones I bought at Costco in case they still carry them at your store (they are Marco Polo brand), but this recipe is just as delicious, if not better. And, they can be ready to eat from start to finish in 30 minutes, or less. Less.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR PICKLED ONIONS
The longer these Quick Pickled Onions sit in their magical juice, the better they taste, but, technically, they can be enjoyed right away.
Slice the onions very thin, so they absorb all the wonderful flavor quickly. I use a mandoline to slice.
I actually used the same container that the store bought ones came in, but you can use a jar, if you would rather.
Some people choose to add red pepper flakes to spice the onions up a bit. I like them in all the ways, but, if I had to pick one way, I would pick without the pepper flakes. That being said, I do enjoy a jalapeno sliced up and thrown in the mix. It simply boils down to preference. Do it your way.
I use this Kosher salt in almost all my recipes.
QUICK PICKLED ONIONS
- 1/2 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers sliced, optional
- 2 cloves fresh garlic peeled, but left whole
- 1 1/4 cups raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups raspberry vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon all-spice
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 20 grinds freshly ground black pepper
- 20 peppercorns whole
- Slice onions, jalapenos, and peel garlic. Layer into the container you are using, adding peppercorns as you layer.
- In a saucepan on medium-high heat, bring vinegars, sugar, Kosher salt, allspice and freshly ground pepper to a simmer, simmering just long enough to make sure the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and pour over the onion mixture.
- Once cooled, store in the refrigerator.