Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
Until about 10 years ago I had never heard of Poppy Seed Chicken, but once I tried it, I loved it right away. I enjoy serving it every now and then and my family loves to eat it! I’m not sure how or why I didn’t know about this dish since it seems to be a classic, but I know now and there is no going back.
Two things that I really love about this dish is that, #1, it is creamy. Yum. Also, #2, it is easy to prepare. Who doesn’t like that, right?
HELPFUL HINTS FOR POPPY SEED CHICKEN
Many recipes will simply call for two cans of cream of chicken soup. I prefer it made with one can cream of chicken with herbs soup and one can of cream of celery soup. Do not dilute the soups. Use them straight out of the can.
GROCERY LIST FOR POPPY SEED CHICKEN
- Chicken – cooked chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken – shredded of chunked
- Cream soups – I like to combine Cream of chicken & herb and cream of celery
- Sour cream
- Butter – for the soup mixture and for the topping
- Worcestershire sauce
- Granulated onion powder
- Granulated garlic powder
- Cavender’s Greek seasoning blend
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crackers Ritz style or townhouse
- French fried onions
- Poppy seeds
LINKS TO RECIPES THAT WILL PAIR WITH THIS ONE
** This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission at absolutely no cost to you. Thank you.**
LINKS TO PRODUCTS/EQUIPMENT USED
A 9×13 casserole pan is used for this recipe. The color of this set is SO pretty!
- Casserole pan 9×13
- 2 cups cooked white rice cooked per package instructions
- 3-4 chicken breasts or meat from 1 rotisserie chicken shredded or chunked
- 1 10.75 ounce can cream of chicken & herbs soup undiluted
- 1 10.75 ounce can cream of celery soup undiluted
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons Cavender's seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- 30 grinds freshly ground pepper or to taste
- 1 sleeve ritz style or townhouse crackers crushed
- 1/4 cup French fried onions you can smash them up with the crackers, or chop
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds Sprinkle on top before baking
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, cook rice per package instructions to end up with 2 cups cooked rice.
- In a large bowl, stir or whisk together the 2 cans of soup (undiluted), melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, Cavender's seasoning, celery salt, granulated garlic powder, granulated onion powder, Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and sour cream together, Set aside.
- Add crackers to a large zippered plastic bag. Close it and smash with a mallet to desired consistency. You can add the French fried onions to the bag with the crackers, or chop them into smaller pieces, or simply leave as they are.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Add smashed crackers and French fried onions to the butter and mix until everything is covered in butter. Set aside.
- Place 2 cups cooked rice on the bottom of a casserole pan.
- Place the shredded, or chunked chicken on top of the rice.
- Top the rice and chicken with the soup/spice mixture.
- Top the soup/spice mixture with the cracker/butter/onion mix. Sprinkle the poppy seeds on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.