Author: Susanne at Dish With Me
**Some links on dishwithme.com are affiliate links. I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you click on a link and make a purchase from a partner company. I will NEVER recommend anything that I don’t personally use or love.**Jump to Recipe
Meaty Spaghetti Sauce. So savory. So good. Who doesn’t love the classic dish of spaghetti? Especially a Meaty Spaghetti Sauce! Is there anyone? Yeah, I’m sure there is somebody somewhere out there that is not a fan, but certainly nobody that I know. And topped with my Forking Amazing Italian Meataballza…OMG, you are in for a special treat!
There are so many variations of spaghetti sauce, but my family loves mine the best! Seriously…put down the jar of pre-made store bought stuff…I’m going to share my deliciousness with you.
This yummy sauce doesn’t have to be for spaghetti only, it can serve many purposes. In addition to being a fabulous spaghetti sauce, it can, also, be a great sauce for lasagna, meatball sandwiches, a dipping sauce for pizza, topping any pasta, ravioli, tortellini, or even an Italian Zucchini boat.
So, make a batch, or a double batch and freeze part of it. Now you’re getting the hang of my cook once and eat twice methodology!
HELPFUL HINTS FOR MEATY SPAGHETTI SAUCE
Try some of my Roasted Garlic on some French bread and butter. Delish!! REALLY…YOU MUST!
Let it cook in the slow cooker on low for most of the day, if you want.
- 1 All-Clad Gourmet Plus 7 qt. Slow Cooker with All-In One Browning Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Every. Single. Penny.
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 1 pound ground beef I use 85/15 organic from Costco
- 1-19 ounce pkg Italian sausage links casings removed
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Cavender's Greek seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons herbs de Provence dried
- 2 Tablespoons powdered beef base Orrington Farms
- 1 teaspoon rosemary dried
- 2 teaspoons thyme dried
- 2 teaspoons oregano dried
- 2 teaspoons basil dried
- 3 cloves fresh garlic grated with a microplane
- 12 ounce can tomato paste
- 28 ounce can whole peeled or crushed tomatoes San Marzano are good
- 28 ounces water
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 20 grinds black pepper
- If you are blessed enough to have an all in one slow cooker that browns, you can cook all of this in one pot. If you do not, simply brown all ingredients except the tomato paste, canned tomatoes and water in a separate pan/skillet and then pour into your slow cooker, or cook in a large pot on the stove.
- Brown the ground beef, Italian sausage onions, EVOO and all seasonings, except the garlic.
- Do not add the garlic until browning is finished. Only then add the garlic to the other ingredients and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer to slow cooker, if using one.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, water, salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours
- The Cavender's and broth base both contain sodium, so start with just the listed 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt and do a taste test towards the end of the cooking process to see if more is required.
Mushrooms and/or a very finely diced bell pepper would make good additions.
I have tried so many spaghetti sauce recipes over the years. There were some that were ok, but this one is a must!! I made my husband try it on his lunch break. He said… oh man, that’s a keeper!!! This will be my go to from now on. There is so much flavor in it!! I made a big pot so I can freeze for another day.😋 Time to relax now. I think I’ll kick back n have some of that Bacon Beer Dip😜. Another awesome recipe!!