A.K.A. JUSTIN’S FAVORITE MAC N CHEESE
Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
Photography: Susanne at dishwithme.com
This wonderful recipe was given to me by a family friend decades ago and I’ve tweaked it and made it my own. This Macaroni & Cheese has been my son, Justin’s, very favorite his entire life.
Seriously, he has put away many, many casserole pans of this stuff. As a matter of fact, he once put away the entire pan in under 24 hours, maybe less than 12 hours. I kid you not.
Keep in mind this Macaroni & Cheese recipe is not your typical mac n cheese. This is more of a souffle. A souffle you are going to want to make over and over again. This is almost always served at holiday meals.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR MACARONI & CHEESE
Sometimes I change things up just a bit and use Queso Blanco Velveeta, instead of the regular. I actually prefer it with the Queso Blanco Velveeta because it has a smoother taste, to me.
Cook the macaroni first and set aside.
- Small elbow macaroni, shells, or ditalini. I prefer the ditalini.
- Cottage cheese
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Velveeta – regular or queso blanco
LINKS TO OTHER RECIPES
My macaroni & cheese recipe can be a great side dish for almost anything. Try it with the following.
Try this CHEESECAKE WITH BROWN BUTTER COOKIE CRUST for dessert.
** This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission at absolutely no cost to you. Thank you so much for helping to support my small business.**
LINKS TO PRODUCTS
You will need a 9 x 13 casserole pan for this recipe.
- 9 x 13 casserole pan
- 16 ounces Small elbow, shell macaroni, or ditalini cooked per package instructions, drain and set aside
- 16 ounces Cottage cheese
- 16 ounces Sour cream
- 16 ounces Cheddar cheese, or a blend shredded
- 8 ounces Velveeta cut into small cubes
- 8 Eggs beaten
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 350℉.
- Cook macaroni per package instructions, drain and set aside.
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole pan with a neutral flavor non-stick spray, or coat with butter.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Mix in the pinch of nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, eggs, cheese and Velveeta.
- Fold in the macaroni.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole pan. Cover with foil and bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes. Should be lightly browned.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.