Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
**This post contains affiliate links. Please see my privacy/disclosure policy.**
Have you ever been to a great steakhouse and they bring out this amazing steak with a pad of deliciously seasoned butter on top? If you haven’t, you’re missing out. If you have, you know exactly what I’m talking about. That wonderful mound of butter is called Herbed Hotel Butter or Compound butter.
Even though I mentioned it served atop a gorgeous steak, this is not the only way to enjoy Hotel Butter. Oh, no, no, no! This savory little luxury is good in so many different ways. It’s great on steaks, almost any kind of veggie, baked potatoes, chicken, fish, eggs, bread…well, you get the picture.
This butter is a savory combination of herbs, garlic and lemon and it is divine! Plus, it stores perfectly in your freezer, so it is ready whenever you are. How is that for handy dandy?
HELPFUL HINTS FOR HERBED HOTEL BUTTER
There are various ways you can flavor a compound butter, this recipe is just how I like it because it tastes fabulous and the seasonings that I use make it very versatile.
Before adding the spices to the butter, I use a mortar and pestle to grind or soften them up a bit.
After blending the butter and the herbs you can roll the blend into a log OR into scoops. Can be stored in zippered freezer bags or airtight freezer bowls. The butter is easier to slice (after rolling into a log) or scoop after is has chilled in the refrigerator for an hour, or two.
Some people choose to simply blend the butter herb mixture with a fork, but I prefer to whip it…whip it good 🙂 Only some of you will get that.
Items I use for this recipe: Plastic airtight freezer containers , Grater, Electric hand mixer. Spatula Cookie scoop and Juicer.
HERBED HOTEL BUTTER
- Airtight plastic freezer bowl
- Electric hand mixer
- Cookie scooper/baller
- 4 sticks salted butter real butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 Tablespoon thyme dried
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary or 1.5 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon chives dried
- 1 teaspoon parsley dried
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 20 grinds freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium cloves fresh garlic finely grated
- 1 zest from one lemon
- 1 lemon juice from one lemon
- Place softened butter into a bowl
- Add all of the remaining ingredients
- Use an electric hand mixer and blend well, about 1 minute.
- Use a spatula to scrape the sides of bowl and place the butter onto parchment paper and roll into a log, or chill to scoop into balls. Chill and slice into serving sizes then wrap in plastic wrap and then a zippered freezer bag. OR use a small scoop (like a melon scooper) and place the scooped butter into an airtight freezer container like the ones I showed under helpful hints.
- Store in the freezer to have on hand whenever you want to use it.
Love it on everything!
Thank you so much, Beth. I love it on everything, too!