Author: Susanne at Dish With Me
**Some links on dishwithme.com are affiliate links. I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you click on a link and make a purchase from a partner company. I will NEVER recommend anything that I don’t personally use or love.**Jump to Recipe
Ahhh, Grumpy Tacos (aka Easy Beef Tacos)! This is another childhood memory and anyone that I grew up with, or didn’t grow up with (the restaurant was around for a long time) in Auburn, California will know exactly what, or where, I am talking about!
So, back in the day most everyone in the general vicinity enjoyed a wonderful restaurant named Grumpy’s Burgers. It was a small place, and their burgers were delicious, but their menu consisted of a variety of everything, it seemed, not just burgers. And everything they served was delicious, including their tacos, which is usually what I got.
Unfortunately, Grumpy’s is no longer there to enjoy, and hasn’t been for many, many years. So what am I to do when I cannot make a Grumpy’s run to grab a couple tacos? I set out to replicate them, of course! Now, what I came up with may be nothing like they actually were, but the flavor that I have created is what I remember them tasting like. I hope you enjoy!
HELPFUL HINTS FOR GRUMPY TACOS aka EASY BEEF TACOS
These are super quick and easy to make! Great for a weeknight meal with very little clean up.
Make sure to cook everything before adding the fresh garlic. Once you add the garlic, cook for one additional minute and remove from the heat.
Keep in mind when cooking the tortillas, they are supposed to be just a little chewy, no longer raw feeling, but still soft, definitely, not even close crunchy. So, kind of soft with a little chew. Does that make sense?
These do not taste like your typical taco. American cheese and red onion MUST be used, or the flavor just won’t be right. I know it sounds kind of weird, but just trust me on this.
There is an order to building these tacos. The slice of cheese must go on the cooked warm tortilla, so that the cheese gets gooey and melty. If the tortilla isn’t warm enough to melt the cheese, pop it in the microwave for just a few seconds, like 5-10 seconds. If you leave it in the microwave too long it will make the tortilla a terrible texture…yuck!
GRUMPY TACOS aka EASY BEEF TACOS
- 1 Tablespoon EVOO
- 1 lb ground beef I use organic 85/15
- 1/4 yellow onion diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons beef broth base Orrington Farms
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 15 grinds freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cloves fresh garlic grated with a fine microplane
- 1/2 cup oil for frying use more as needed, use peanut, vegetable or canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 8 American cheese slices
- 1/2 small red onion sliced
- iceberg lettuce
- 1 tomato diced
- Heat a medium to large pan on medium-high heat.
- Add EVOO then crumble in ground beef and add diced onion.
- Add all of the spices/seasonings, but do not add fresh garlic just yet.
- Cook until ground beef is done, then add fresh garlic and cook for one additional minute.
- Chop lettuce, tomato and red onion. Set aside.
- Using a pan just big enough to fit a corn tortilla, heat the oil on medium-high heat for frying.
- Fry each tortilla separately for about 30 seconds on each side. Use tongs to flip the tortillas. Place on a paper towel for draining. The tortilla should no longer be super soft, but not yet crunchy…it should be kind of chewy.
- To assemble the taco: Place the slice of American cheese on the warm tortilla, so that it gets all melty. If the tortilla isn't warm, place the cheese on it and microwave it for 8 to 10 seconds. Add the seasoned beef and top with veggies. Add salsa, if desired.