Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
When I was a child, my favorite dessert was strawberry shortcake, BUT a close second was lemon meringue pie. While I haven’t had a lemon meringue pie in many, many years, I do occasionally fix these Easy Lemon Bars, especially during the warmer months. They’re kind of sort of the same thing, without the meringue and I tend to prefer the bars these days. Oh, and the crust on these lovelies is shortbread!
I have an excellent recipe for key lime bars, as well. I will post those at some point this summer, because these types of recipes are perfect for the summer, whether it be for a pot luck, picnic, backyard barbecue, or simply for dessert.
These Easy Lemon Bars have a wonderful shortbread crust and a wonderful creamy lemon filling. Sprinkle it with love and powdered sugar and you have a delightfully delicious dessert that is sure to disappear.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR EASY LEMON BARS
Use FRESHLY squeezed lemon juice. Don’t skimp out on this…you need the zest anyway, so you may as well make use of the juice.
You could use different types of crusts, but this shortbread one is perfecto!
- All-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- Pure vanilla extract
- Kosher salt
- Granulated sugar
- Lemons – for the zest and the juice
OTHER RECIPES TO POSSIBLY PAIR WITH THIS ONE
Before a nice summer treat for dessert, enjoy this nice light THE AMAZING CALIFORNIA CHICKEN SANDWICH.
SUPER EASY CATALINA CHICKEN BREASTS are another great summer option.
- 1 9×13 Casserole pan
- Parchment paper
- Citrus Press
- Electric hand mixer
- FOR THE CRUST
- 2 sticks Real butter 1 cup, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
- 2 teaspoons Pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- FOR THE LEMON FILLING
- 2 cups Granulated sugar
- Zest from 3 lemons The yellow part ONLY! None of the white part.
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Freshly squeezed lemon juice Approx 3-4 lemons
- 8 Eggs
- FOR THE TOPPING
- Powdered sugar For dusting, optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9×13 casserole pan with parchment paper, leaving a little to hang over, so it will be easy to lift out later. Set aside.
- FOR THE CRUST
- Using an electric mixer, mix the room temperature butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt together. Add the flour to the mixture and mix to completely combine.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- THE FILLING
- Combine all ingredients for the filling. Mix well. Pour into the prepared crust and bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and let sit for an hour. After one hour, refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, or lemon zest, if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator.