Author: Susanne at Dish With Me
Guys, I have to tell you, this Easy Asian Cucumber Salad is so good that I have, quite literally, drank the leftover marinade. I am not ashamed! It’s vinegar, it’s good for you! That’s all I’m going to say about that.
I fix this as a side dish to my Korean Beef Bowls and Teriyaki Sticks (will post at some point) and it is perfect, but could easily accompany many different dishes. These cucumbers are also delicious as a simple snack. My Kelsey and I love them for a snack!
The most important part of making these cucumbers so tasty lies in the dressing. My dressing is savory and garlicky with just a hint of sweetness. Mmmhmmm…you’re going to want to try it. You will not be sorry.
10 minutes. You can have a bowl of yum in 10 minutes, or less.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR EASY ASIAN CUCUMBER SALAD
I don’t have a ton to add here for helpful hints as this is a very quick and simple recipe.
I will say that if you use the tines of a fork to score lengthwise around the entire cucumber, the cucumber slices end up looking like cute little flowers. I think it’s pretty cute and it, literally, takes 20 seconds.
I buy and use carrots that are already in julienned form, because, why not?
I used two different vinegars for this dish, a rice wine vinegar and chinkiang vinegar (I ordered it from Amazon), which is a black rice based vinegar with a rather earthy umami flavor.
Since this Easy Cucumber Salad is not mayo based, it is absolutely the perfect dish to take to a potluck or picnic, but you might want to quadruple the recipe!
Top with sesame seeds and green onions, which I have been informed are also called spring onions scallions, or salad onions.
This dish will keep for a couple days MAX in the refrigerator, but, in my humble opinion, it is best eaten the same day it’s made.
I often serve my Korean Beef Bowls with this dish as a side. Two yums at once!
LINKE TO PRODUCTS/EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
Only a little bit of this chinkiang vinegar is used in this recipe, but I feel it makes a difference. If you can’t find it at your local store, just click on my amazon link highlighted in blue.
EASY ASIAN CUCUMBER SALAD
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Chinkiang vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds plus a few extra for topping
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 clove garlic grated with a microplane
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger grated with a microplane, about 1 teaspoon
- 5 green onion, scallions, spring onions, whatever you call them where you are very finely chopped, plus extra for topping
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 English cucumbers scored and sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots julienned
- In a bowl, make the sauce by combining the first 11 ingredients, whisk and set aside.
- Score and slice the English cucumbers and add to a large bowl
- Add the carrots in with the sliced cucumbers.
- Give the sauce another quick whisk and pour into the bowl with the cucumbers and carrots. Mix well.
- I place the bowl into the refrigerator and give the cucumbers a stir a few times before putting them in a storage bowl.
- When ready to serve, top with additional sesame seeds and more green onions.