Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
**This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission at absolutely no cost to you. Thank you.**
Almost any hot cocoa is okay-ish, or decent. Homemade hot cocoa is better. Creamy hot cocoa is even better. Creamy hot cocoa on Christmas morning, well…that’s pretty bomb.
This creamy hot cocoa is not as easy as ripping open an envelope and mixing in some hot water, BUT, I think you might be amazed to discover that this recipe isn’t too much harder than ripping open an envelope and the outcome is very rich and satisfying.
Seriously, were are talking about only 6 simple ingredients and a few minutes to make a fabulous drink that you and the kids will treasure turning into a tradition. Of course, it is delicious any time of the year, but there is just something about enjoying a cup on Christmas morning…after coffee, that is!
Can any of you serious coffee drinkers even imagine not having coffee first? Ha! I think not.
Hey, while you’re making your hot cocoa on Christmas morning, check out this song. It’s one of my favorite non-traditional Christmas songs. Shake Up by Train. I hope you enjoy it.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR CREAMY HOT COCOA
There really isn’t a lot to say here, except keep the heat on medium, or below. Milk can burn quickly and easily.
I use a mix of milk chocolate and dark chocolate chips.
Oh, and feel free to top your hot cocoa however you like. I, personally, like real whipped cream, a few small marshmallows and a couple chocolate chips. I know may people enjoy a candy cane, or cinnamon. Get creative, use your imagination and have fun with it!
INGREDIENTS FOR HOT COCOA
- Whole milk
- Heavy whipping cream
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- chocolate chips
- Brown sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
RECIPES THAT MAY PAIR WELL WITH THIS RECIPE
Simple Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
LINKS FOR PRODUCTS OR EQUIPMENT USED (affiliate links)
Hot cocoa would look really cool in these clear mugs.
A medium saucepan is needed for this recipe.
- medium saucepan
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips semi sweet, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or a mix.
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, add all ingredients, except the vanilla.
- Use a whisk to mix and stir until the cocoa powder is dissolved and blended into the milk and the chocolate chips are completely melted. The mixture should be smooth and you should no longer be able to see pieces of the chocolate chips.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Serve immediately, topped with your favorite garnishes.