Author: Susanne at Dish With Me
**Some links on dishwithme.com are affiliate links. I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you click on a link and make a purchase from a partner company. I will NEVER recommend anything that I don’t personally use or love.**Jump to Recipe
This Creamy Dilled Cucumber & Onion Salad goes from a thought to done in under 10 minutes!
This salad can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple days, but the cucumbers will start to get soft. In my humble opinion, these tasty little morsels should be eaten the same day they are made, or the next day at the latest. This dish can be eaten immediately after it is made, but is best after chilling in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
Many people use fresh dill, and, if you have access to it, by all means, use it! I don’t always have access to fresh dill, so I use dried…and, guess what? It is still delicious!
English cucumbers are used because they have less seeds, a better texture and are typically less bitter than regular cucumbers. English cucumbers are sometimes called hot house cucumbers.
This Creamy Dilled Cucumber & Onion Salad pairs wonderfully with my Catalina Chicken.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR CREAMY DILLED CUCUMBER & ONION SALAD
I have read that many people like to slice the cucumber, sprinkle with salt and let sit for a bit to draw the water out of the cucumbers. I have to be honest, I tried it and I wasn’t a fan. It changed the texture of the cucumbers. I much prefer to simply slice and use. I place them on a paper towel while I’m preparing everything else, but I do not sprinkle them with salt.
When slicing the cucumbers and onions, I prefer to use a mandolin. It is very quick and the slices are consistently even. BUT, be careful and watch those fingers because with one wrong swipe the mandolin will happily take a chunk of finger from you. Trust me, I know this from first-hand experience.
You can get away with using one bowl to toss everything into, but I prefer to make the dressing in one bowl and add it to the bowl with the onions and cucumbers. I feel like the ingredients in the dressing are better distributed this way.
CREAMY DILLED CUCUMBER & ONION SALAD
- Mandolin I slice the cucumbers on 2
- 2 English cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet onion like Vidalia or red
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise I use Duke's
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1.5 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dill weed dried
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 10 grinds freshly ground black pepper set on fine setting
- Thinly slice cucumbers and lay out on a paper towel to absorb excess water while you're preparing everything else.
- On a cutting board, cut the onion half in half and then thinly slice.
- In a bowl, combine mayo, sour cream, vinegar and all seasonings, whisk dressing well to combine.
- Place cucumbers and onions in a large bowl and top with the dressing.
- Mix really well to ensure each veggie is covered.
- Eat right away or refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Enjoy, friends!