Author: Susanne at Dish With Me
**Some links on dishwithme.com are affiliate links. I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you click on a link and make a purchase from a partner company. I will NEVER recommend anything that I don’t personally use or love.**
This Catalina Salad is so named because when I first started making it, Catalina dressing is what I used to go with it. Now I often use southwest ranch, which is simply ranch dressing with taco seasoning added. Both dressings go fabulously with this salad. Pictured is the southwest ranch dressing.
This salad is so simple that it barely needs a recipe, but sometimes people just don’t think of putting certain combinations together. This salad can be a meal on its own or a side to go with something else, like my chicken enchiladas, or a southwest seasoned steak, BUT, what really goes fabulously with this salad is my Catalina Chicken…OMG! Perfect pairing. The Catalina chicken can be served on the side or used to top this salad. If I use my Catalina Chicken with this salad, then I go with the Catalina dressing.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR CATALINA SALAD
As far as lettuce goes, my recipe calls for spring mix and spinach, but use whatever you like best. Romaine lettuce would be a good option with this.
Don’t like dark kidney beans? Use light kidney beans or black beans, or maybe even black-eyed peas. Use what you like.
Roasted corn (canned, froze or fresh) is, also, a good topping for this salad.
You really MUST use Fritos/corn chips
- 3 cups spring mix salad greens, or romaine
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cup cheddar cheese, or Mexican blend shredded
- 6-8 green onions chopped
- palmful French fried onions
- 1 cup corn chips (Fritos) crumbled
- Catalina dressing to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper as desired
- Add lettuce and spinach to a large bowl or platter, toss to mix.
- Top with remaining ingredients
- I put the toppings into separate dishes and let people add their own toppings. That way if there is salad left over, the toppings won't get soggy.
- Ta-done! It's that easy.