Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
This recipe for Butternut Squash Soup is so savory and comforting and can be enjoyed any time of the year. Yes, soups are not just for the fall and winter seasons!
As I’ve mentioned before, I sometimes try to make a night or two during the week meatless. Now, in this recipe I do use chicken broth, but, still no actual meat, And, if you want to, you could easily replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
Imagine a whole meal done in under an hour! Just add a side salad, or some bread and butter and, viola, you have a meal. And, you will have very little clean-up.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
I’ve said this before, but I’m going to say it again…dice and prepare everything before you start the cooking process. Truly, it makes the flow so much easier, especially in recipes like this one where the end product comes together quickly.
Be prepared…peeling and chopping butternut squash is not the easiest of tasks. I, actually, find it quite hard, but not impossible. That’s the hardest part of making this recipe. The rest is easy peasy.
Make sure to use UNSWEETENED coconut milk.
LINKS TO OTHER RECIPES
If you want to enjoy a soup and salad night, my COBB SALAD would pair great with this recipe.
A SUPER MOIST LEMON LOAF CAKE would make a great dessert.
You could, also, enjoy a glass of BLACKBERRY LEMONADE.
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut oil
- 2 Ribs celery strings removed, diced
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1 Sweet white onion diced
- 1 Honeycrisp apple peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 medium Butternut squash peeled, seeds removed, and diced
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Ground sage
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 pinch Ground ginger
- 1 pinch Ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch Ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 25 grinds Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large Cloves fresh garlic grated
- 32 ounces Chicken broth or vegetable, if you prefer
- 1 can Unsweetened coconut milk approx. 13.66 ounces, I use Thai Kitchen Organic
- In a large soup/stock pot, on medium heat, add the EVOO and the coconut oil.
- Once the oils are heated, add the diced celery, diced carrot, diced onion, diced apple, diced butternut squash, and all the spices. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the grated garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth. Turn the heat to high JUST until it comes to a boil. A little water can be added, if needed for liquid to cover the veggies. Once the soup comes to a boil, immediately turn the heat down to medium-low, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the pieces of squash are tender.
- Once the squash is tender, turn the heat off and add the unsweetened coconut milk, stirring well.
- Taste to make sure the seasoning is good. Add more, if necessary. I typically end up using 1 additional teaspoon of Kosher salt and about 20 more grinds of pepper, but, you be the judge.
- If using an immersion blender, do so at this point.
- If using a food processer, let the soup mixture cool down for a few minutes because hot liquids in a food processer can be DANGEROUS. No joke…be very careful. Work in batches, if necessary to avoid filling the pitcher too full.