Author: Susanne at dishwithme.com
These truly are The Best Ever Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts With Bacon. Yum!
I’ve heard many people say, “I hate Brussel sprouts!” Yeah, yeah, yeah…whatever. I know there are some people that really, really don’t like them, BUT, I, also, think there are MANY people that just haven’t tasted them prepared the right way. With this recipe, I have actually converted haters of Brussel sprouts into lovers of Brussel sprouts! Oh, yes I have!
If you grew up being force fed boiled Brussel sprouts…these are not those. These are a very far cry from those.
At the end of the cooking process you will be left with tender, caramelized, very flavorful Brussel sprouts.
This is one of my most requested recipes for holidays and family get-togethers. We enjoy them for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and many times throughout the year.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
After cleaning the Brussel sprouts and cutting them in half, toss them right onto the foil lined sheet tray. Doing this saves washing a bowl and I am always down with that.
Stir your Brussel sprouts when they are halfway cooked. Add the parmesan cheese at this time.
If you feel like taking the time to place all of the sprouts cut side down it will help them crisp up nicely. Tedious? Yes. Worth it? Probably. Do I always do it? No.
INGREDIETS USED FOR BEST EVER ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS WITH BACON
- Fresh Brussel sprouts – cut the ends off and remove any bad leaves
- Bacon – a good quality bacon
- Butter – real buttah!
- Soy sauce
- Maple syrup – I use pure maple syrup
- Fresh garlic – Roasted garlic takes on a new flavor and it is a MUST in this recipe. I will NEVER recommend the pre-chopped jarred crap. I know I call it crap every time I mention it, but that is truly what it is to me. Gag. And, it takes like 30 seconds to grate it.
- Parmesan – Ground or shredded
- Kosher salt – Far superior in flavoring than table salt.
- Black pepper – Freshly ground
Use a large sheet tray for plenty of room.
This is the grater that I use. I had a different name brand grater at one time, but it didn’t hold up well. I’ve had this one for about a year and it is holding up great.
These are my measuring cups and these are All clad measuring spoons. I know it’s a silly price, but they’re so cute! The measuring cups look like little pots! They have matching measuring spoons at Williams Sonoma.
FOODS THAT WILL PAIR WELL WITH ROASTED BRUSSEL SPOUTS
These would be great with my Grilled Baby Back Ribs recipe.
- Large baking tray
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Baking sheet
- 3 pounds fresh brussel sprouts after cleaning you will end up with 2-ish pounds
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 small shallot finely diced
- 4 Tablespoons real butter
- 4 Tablespoons EVOO
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 large cloves fresh garlic or 4 medium, grated
- 30 grinds freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese ground or shredded
- Place the fresh Brussel sprouts into a colander and give them a good rinse.
- Triple line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut the bacon slices into small pieces. Set them aside.
- Mix the melted butter, EVOO, maple syrup, soy sauce, grated garlic, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- One by one, cut the stem off of the bottom of each Brussel sprout and remove any poor looking leaves.
- Cut each cleaned Brussel sprout in 1/2. Toss them directly on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Top the prepared Brussel sprouts with the bacon pieces.
- Drizzle the liquid seasoning mixture over the Brussel sprouts and toss with your hands, making sure they all get covered in some of the seasoning mixture,
- If the Brussel sprouts don't seem quite covered enough, drizzle with a little extra EVOO.
- Bake at 425°F for at least 30 minutes. Stir at the 15 minute mark and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. If they aren't crisped up quite enough for your taste at the end of the 30 minute mark, roast them a little longer, but keep a close eye on them so they don't burn. They should be tender and charred just a little.
- Serve immediately.